Friday, August 12, 2016

SAUSAGE PARTY review

You are not prepared for SAUSAGE PARTY.

“Oh, I think I ca-”


NO! You are NOT ready for this movie! I thought I was… But, oh man… And where to begin?

The first trailer for SAUSAGE PARTY was amazing. When it dropped posing as a poorly made family film only to start dropping F-bombs I was laughing hysterically. The premise was bonkers and seeing these cute little food items swear and be brutally murdered was just too absurd. I knew I had to see it. After that I avoided watching any other trailers as I wanted to see if the movie had any more of those surprises that the first trailer had. Now, after having watched SP, no amount of trailers can prepare you for what’s in store…. Pun intended.


I really don’t want to say too much in this review. I could just say that this is probably the most mess up movie I’ve seen in years, possibly ever, and will probably make my top 10 films of the year and leave it at that. But I won’t.


SAUSAGE PARTY starts out basically how the trailers show it. It opens up with the store opening and the food is singing merrily along. Only difference between the trailers and the movie with the opening is SP doesn’t wait very long to start the profanity. Other than the profanity, the first 15 minutes or so is like any other family animated film with mediocre animation. Fun, happy-go-lucky characters and bright colors galore. Having seen the trailers I knew what was coming, but I wasn’t necessarily waiting for it to just get there. Everything was silly as hell, but it was enjoyable. And, oh man, the food puns.


One thing I was worried about watching the trailer was how much they can do with the premise. Sure, it’s hilarious and everything, but how long can you stretch out the humor in food being murdered? Luckily the movie proves to be much smarter than that. When the plot starts moving it already takes some deviations from what the trailer leads you to believe. There are several tropes going on including a subplot involving some douche trying to kill the main characters… yes, you read that correctly. Yes, that’s intended to be a pun on the movie’s part. But the main focus of the story is much more philosophical than that. Yes… a vulgar-talking-food-being-brutally-murdered movie’s main point has to do with philosophy… Absurd, right?


If I were to overly simplify SP I would say it has to do with religion. It isn’t outright anti-religion, but more an examination as to why religion exists in the first place and whether or not it’s the right way to go about life. Sometimes, even if it’s a lie, religion can be a sense of hope to make it so we don’t lose ourselves to depression or that feeling that nothing matters. If we’re all going to die no matter what we do, then why live at all? What’s the point of all of this?


*long awkward pause*


But hey, that sausage just said the “F word!”


I can’t really say the religious/philosophical aspect of the movie was gracefully handled. It’s pretty in-your-face about it. But it’s just so absurdly presented that I can’t help but love it. And that could be said about everything in this movie. SP is so jam packed (yes, another pun) with wild jokes from start to finish in a way never before presented that it makes up for just about any shortcomings the movie may have. It just keeps getting more and more ridiculous all the way until the end. When you think that it can’t get any crazier, it does. Oh, man. Never, at any point think you know how far the movie is willing to go. When it gets to the climax… That last 15 minutes will haunt my dreams for months… For god’s sake, don’t take your kids to this movie…


HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION.

Original post HERE

No comments: